Mostly I’m just posting it here because I don’t really have a place to put it and I want it public so I can go back and revisit it if I’m right or wrong. Needless to say, Here be Spoilers! You have been warned.
1) The Fake Slender Man
It is kind of distracting that a supernatural monster would appear on a show after they made fun of him, especially since Slender Man seems to have little in the way of human emotions, which would include spite. Ergo, my personal theory is that they have encountered Slender Man before, possibly in their past lives, and on some deep level remember him. So when they saw Marble Hornets, they liked the idea because on some level they recognised it.
2) Iteration Theory
This isn’t actually my theory; Iteration Theory is actually a pretty popular theory in various EverymanHYBRID fora, but I feel like it needs to be briefly covered here. In short, they discover a psychologist Dr Corenthal and four case studies named Vincent, Evan, Jeffrey, and Stephanie-names matching those of Vince, Evan, Jeff, and Damsel. These studies were from the 1970s, however, and it is impossible for them to directly be about the main characters who were probably born in the early 90s. As such the popular theory is that these characters are reincarnations of the original Mining Town Four (the four case studies mentioned above) and that They, along with the Slender Man, The Rake, HABIT, and possibly Dr Corenthal himself, are all tied together supernaturally.
3) Each HYBRID is intrinsically linked to a specific monster.
Now, it’s pretty clear that all three of the monsters of the series will torment all three of the main characters indiscriminately. The Rake slashed Evan’s arm, the Slender Man haunts all of them, and HABIT probably possessed all three of them and forced them to kill a deer. But, I am suggesting that each of them is directly tethered to a specific monster, in a way that is not yet certain.
- In the strange scene involving the Candles (where none of the characters seemed to act like themselves) Jeff is wearing a suit and tie reminiscent of the Slender Man. Also, his girlfriend and his brother have both been taken by Him.
- The Mining Town version of Evan seemed perpetually possessed by HABIT, and in the scene with the Candles seems much more aware of what HABIT is doing than the others are.
- When Jeff, Evan, and Alex set out to catch the Rake, they found Vinnie’s phone in the closet where the Rake had been living. As well, the childhood Vincent described meeting a hairless, scarred dog reminiscent of The Rake.
In short, the idea is that Jeff is directly tied to the Slender Man, Evan is directly tied to HABIT, and Vinnie is directly tied to The Rake.
4) HABIT was responsible for Candle Cove
Candle Cove is a completely different Creepypasta that is too exhaustive for me to explain here. Look it up if you are curious. I recommend looking it up on TvTropes. First the Sugar Wiki entry then, if you can’t figure it out, the Darth Wiki one. Basically my entire HABIT/Candle Cove theory comes from Dr Corenthal’s research, where Vincent mentions playing pirate in a fashion similar to Candle Cove, but with Captain Habit instead of Captain Percy.
On second thought just read and find out for yourself.